The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (NCDC) says it has intensified surveillance and preparedness measures nationwide following the Ebola outbreak in parts of Africa.
The agency said the move was in response to the World Health Organisation’s declaration of the outbreak as a Public Health Emergency of International Concern.
The Director-General of NCDC, Dr Jide Idris, disclosed this in a statement on Sunday in Abuja.
Idris said Nigeria had not recorded any confirmed case of Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) linked to the current regional outbreak.
He, however, noted that the agency had activated heightened surveillance and preparedness activities across the country due to rising cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda.
According to him, NCDC conducted a dynamic risk assessment, which estimated the risk of Ebola importation into Nigeria as high, owing to international travel, population movement, and uncertainty about the outbreak’s full scale.
He noted that delayed recognition of the disease remains a major concern because Ebola symptoms overlap with those of endemic diseases in Nigeria, such as malaria and Lassa fever.
Idris said high-risk states, border communities, major transport hubs, and Points of Entry had been identified for priority interventions.
He added that Nigeria retains strong response capacities, including laboratory capabilities, trained Rapid Response Teams, functional Emergency Operations Centres, and existing Viral Haemorrhagic Fever preparedness structures.
According to him, the country’s previous success in containing Ebola and other haemorrhagic fever outbreaks has strengthened current preparedness efforts.
“The National Emergency Operations Centre is on alert mode for heightened preparedness, with the National Incident Management System activated and clear coordination, reporting, and escalation pathways in place,” he said.
Idris said epidemiologists and Rapid Response Teams had been placed on alert for possible deployment, while coordination with State Ministries of Health, Port Health Services, and other relevant agencies was being strengthened.
He said ongoing preparedness monitoring, readiness assessments, and situation reporting were underway at both national and sub-national levels.
The NCDC boss added that the agency had intensified event-based surveillance and epidemic intelligence nationwide, including enhanced monitoring of alerts, rumours, and unusual public health events.
He said enhanced surveillance activities are also ongoing at Points of Entry and border communities, where the risk of importation is highest.
Idris said Ebola Infection Prevention and Control (IPC) readiness tools and checklists had been distributed to health facilities, while refresher training for healthcare workers on IPC protocols and early identification of suspected cases was ongoing.
He added that states had been advised to incorporate Ebola preparedness into existing emergency plans, including the designation of isolation and treatment centres.
Idris said NCDC and its partners were preparing to preposition critical response materials — such as Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), laboratory consumables, IPC supplies, and emergency medical items — in strategic locations.
The Director-General noted that Nigeria maintains laboratory testing capability in states with international Points of Entry and across the public health laboratory network, with additional surge capacity available if needed.
He said sample collection, transportation, and referral systems for suspected Viral Haemorrhagic Fever cases were also being strengthened, alongside biosafety and biosecurity measures across laboratories.

