An unspecified number of worshippers have been abducted by suspected terrorists after Friday prayers in Dekara District of Borgu Local Government Area of Niger State.
The incident occurred on Friday at Kpenya Mosque in Gidan-Zana, where the attackers reportedly stormed the community shortly after the conclusion of the weekly Jumma’ah prayers and took worshippers into the forest.
Residents of Gidan Zana, Masaka, Sabon Gida and other neighbouring communities were reportedly among those abducted.
The Village Head of Ka’ada, who was recently released after spending time in captivity, was also reportedly taken by the attackers while the 90-year-old father of the District Head of Dekara was said to be among the victims.
The number of abducted worshippers has not been established.
However, local reports have put the number at about 60, with many of the victims said to be elderly.
The Niger State Police Command confirmed the incident on Saturday.
Police spokesman, Wasiu Abiodun, said the command received a report at about 4pm that suspected terrorists had invaded Gidan-Zana, Kpenya village, through Dekara District at about 2pm.
He said the attackers abducted an unspecified number of people at Kpenya Mosque during prayers, while some worshippers escaped into a nearby forest.
“No life was lost,” Abiodun said, adding that a joint security detachment had been deployed to the area for assessment and rescue operations.
The latest attack adds to the security concerns in Borgu, particularly communities located around the forest areas of the local government and close to the Nigeria-Benin Republic border.

