The Federal Government said on Wednesday that flooding might happen in 38 places across 11 states.
It warned that from Wednesday, July 16, to Sunday, July 20, 2025, heavy rain could lead to flooding in these areas.
The warning came from the Federal Ministry of Environment, through the National Flood Early Warning Centre, which is part of the Erosion, Flood and Coastal Zone Management Department.
The warning was signed by the department’s director, Usman Bokani.
The states that may be affected include Adamawa (Mubi), Akwa Ibom (Edor, Upenekang, Oron, Eket), Borno (Ngala, Maiduguri), Bauchi (Azare, Bauchi, Itas, Jama’are, Kafin-Madaki, Jama’a, Kari, Misau), and Plateau (Jos, Bukuru, Mangu).
Other states listed are Yobe (Jakusko, Machina, Dapchi), Katsina (Daura), Kano (Kunchi, Kano, Gezawa, Wudil, Bebeji, Sumaila, Tudun Wada), and Jigawa (Miga, Gwaram, Diginsa, Ringim, Dutse).
Cross River (Calabar, Akpap) and Zamfara (Bungudu, Gusau) were also mentioned in the forecast.
The Federal Government had earlier started working on a National Flood Insurance Policy to help protect the country from increasing flood disasters.
At a meeting in June about developing this insurance policy, the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Environment, Mahmud Kambari, said the growing number of floods is a national emergency that needs urgent action.
He said the country must move from just reacting to floods to taking steps to prevent them and manage the risks better. The new flood insurance programme is a key part of this plan.
Kambari, represented by Deputy Director Kunle Awojemila, said that more floods in recent years have been caused by climate change, rapid urban growth, and poor infrastructure.
He explained that the proposed insurance would give financial support to people, communities, and businesses, reduce government emergency costs, and encourage all levels of government and the private sector to share responsibility.