U.S. President Donald Trump has said he shelved plans for a major military assault on Iran after appeals from key Gulf Arab allies, citing renewed optimism that negotiations could bring an end to the prolonged conflict.
Trump disclosed that he had prepared a fresh offensive against Iran for Tuesday after Tehran rejected proposals from Washington aimed at ending the war. However, he said leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates urged him to delay the operation, arguing that ongoing diplomatic efforts were showing promising signs.
In a post on his Truth Social platform, Trump said the Gulf leaders requested that the United States suspend the planned attack because serious negotiations were underway. Despite the pause, he stressed that the U.S. military had been directed to remain on standby for a large-scale assault should talks fail to produce an acceptable agreement.
Speaking later at a White House event, Trump described recent developments as “very positive,” saying Gulf allies had indicated that a deal preventing Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons could be within reach.
“There seems to be a very good chance that they can work something out. If we can do that without bombing the hell out of them, I’d be very happy,” Trump said.
The conflict, now stretching beyond five years, has remained a political challenge for Trump, who has repeatedly expressed a desire to disengage from the war. Iran, however, has consistently rejected U.S. proposals and has maintained pressure on global energy markets through its control of the strategic Strait of Hormuz.
Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei confirmed indirect exchanges with Washington through Pakistan, saying Tehran had communicated its concerns to the United States.
Iran is reportedly demanding the release of frozen assets, the lifting of long-standing economic sanctions and compensation for damages caused by the conflict. Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian said engagement with Washington should not be interpreted as capitulation, insisting that Iran would continue to defend its rights and national dignity.
Iranian media reports indicate that the latest U.S. proposal includes restrictions on Tehran’s nuclear programme, including limiting operations to a single nuclear facility and transferring highly enriched uranium stockpiles to the United States. Tehran has reportedly objected to the terms, arguing that Washington has offered only limited sanctions relief and no meaningful compensation.
However, Iran’s Tasnim news agency reported that the United States had made a concession by agreeing to suspend certain oil-related sanctions while negotiations continue.
New Authority for Strait of Hormuz
In a previous proposal submitted last week, Iran called for a complete cessation of hostilities, including Israel’s military operations in Lebanon, and an end to a U.S. naval blockade imposed on Iranian ports.
Iran has also moved to strengthen its oversight of the Strait of Hormuz, a critical global energy corridor. A newly established Persian Gulf Strait Authority announced that it would begin issuing real-time updates on activities in the waterway.
The Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps further stated that fibre-optic cables passing through the strait could be subjected to a new Iranian permit system, a move likely to raise concerns among international shipping and telecommunications operators.
Tensions Rise in Kurdistan and Gulf Region
Military tensions remain high despite the diplomatic efforts.
Iran’s Revolutionary Guards announced on Monday that they had targeted groups in the country’s Kurdistan province, alleging that organizations linked to the United States and Israel were attempting to smuggle American weapons into Iran from neighbouring Iraq.
The development came amid growing regional concerns following a drone strike near a nuclear power facility in Abu Dhabi on Sunday. Although no group claimed responsibility, a UAE official reportedly suggested Iran may have been behind the attack.
Analysts say Trump’s latest remarks may also be aimed at projecting control over the unfolding situation.
According to Trita Parsi, the Gulf states’ intervention provides Trump with a diplomatic pathway to step back from earlier threats while maintaining pressure on Tehran.
The coming days are expected to be crucial as negotiations continue, with the prospect of either a diplomatic breakthrough or renewed military escalation hanging in the balance.

