At least 16 people have died in Niger State due to the ongoing cholera outbreak. So far, 451 people have been infected with the disease.
This was revealed by Dr. Ahmed Tsofo, a Health Specialist with the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF), during a visit to the Emir of Minna, Alhaji Faruq Bahago, on Thursday.
Dr. Tsofo led a UNICEF team to the Emir’s palace to seek the traditional leader’s help in fighting the outbreak and addressing other urgent health challenges in the state.
He said, “We came to ask for the Emir’s personal support and that of the Minna Emirate Council in responding to the cholera outbreak, the polio campaign, the ongoing World Breastfeeding Week, and the new measles and rubella vaccines coming in October.”
Tsofo explained that when the outbreak started, 13 people had died, but three more deaths have since been recorded, making the total 16.
The number of infections has also risen from 409 to more than 451.
He stressed that working together with both the government and traditional leaders is key to stopping the spread of cholera and improving public health.
“We have told the Emir about the work we are doing with the government to control the outbreak and prevent more people from getting sick,” Tsofo added.
In his response, the Emir of Minna promised to fully support UNICEF’s health programmed.
“We work for the people and in their interest. I will support your efforts and help in all four areas you have mentioned,” the Emir said.