The Nigerian Medical Association (NMA) has started talks with key federal ministries about its demands. Because of this, it now believes the planned strike probably won’t happen.
On July 2, the NMA issued a warning after the National Salaries, Incomes and Wages Commission sent out a circular about new allowances for medical and dental officers in federal service. The doctors disagreed, saying the circular broke previous agreements.
The NMA gave the government a 21-day deadline, ending July 23, to withdraw the circular and meet other demands—otherwise, the health sector would go on strike.
The NMA argued that the circular included changes that were not approved by both sides and hurt the pay and welfare of medical professionals.
Reporters talked involve the Ministries of Health and Social Welfare; Labour & Employment; Finance, Budget and National Planning; the Salaries Commission; and the Office of the Head of the Civil Service.
According to NMA President Prof. Bala Audu, the government is committed to solving both past and new issues.
Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Prof. Audu said, “We began talks yesterday (Tuesday), and we will continue today (Wednesday) to reach clear solutions. So far, the discussions have been helpful.”
He explained that the NMA’s concerns are split into two groups: older agreed-upon issues that need to be implemented, and new points that need negotiation.
“We’re reviewing all the issues. We only ask that previously agreed terms be considered during reviews,” he said. “They have agreed to sit with us and examine those documents together.”
“A significant portion of the 2025 Medical Residency Training Fund has already been paid, and it is being worked on.”
Prof. Audu added, “If the Federal Government keeps working with us like this and reaches a logical conclusion, a strike is very unlikely. All our issues are being addressed, and we’re making progress on every front.”